Tool Kit for Action (ACT NOW-deadline Nov 2 & 3)
- Farmworkers and environmental justice advocates have been calling for an Advance Pesticide Notification or “warning” system for years. (aka-Notice of Intent to spray NOI). Communities need to close windows and bring children indoors if pesticides are being sprayed. They can drift for miles and linger.
- The long term goal is to ban the use of dangerous pesticides in California’s agricultural lands – until we can accomplish that –
- Farmworkers, their families, their communities and the public have a right to be notified in ADVANCE of pesticide applications.
- Good News! This year because of workers and advocates speaking out, the legislature allocated funding for the Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR) to develop a statewide Pesticide Advance Notification System.
- Challenge: We must make sure the system is robust, transparent, public, inclusive, and that it is implemented As Soon As Possible. DPR should not wait until 2024 when the funding expires.
How you can Help:
- DPR is holding two online webinars on Nov 2nd & 3rd to hear public input about how the Pesticide Notification System should be designed.
- Please Help get the word out to protect farmworkers and their communities. Urge people to testify at the webinars or by email.
- Share this information with your organizations, friends, and families by email and on Face Book.
- Speak at one of the DPR webinars or send email. Talking Points and email address below.